While baking for a family party recently I found myself needing a recipe that was vegan friendly. This means avoiding the use of all animal related products including milk and eggs. These cookies have neither and are a good choice for those who are
lactose intolerant as well.
Besides all of that - it is just a very good chocolate chip cookie which I've made often before even being aware of dietary restrictions.
- 1 cup soft vegetable shortening such as Crisco (you can use butter or margarine if you are not sensitive to dairy products)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Cream butter and sugars, add vanilla and beat until fluffy.
- Add the flour and salt and mix well.
- Dissolve baking soda in boiling water and blend into mixture.
- Stir in oatmeal, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350º F oven for 10-12 minutes.