My mom gave me the recipe for these cookies.
Why they are called "Perkins" I really don't know but they are chewy
and oh so good.
Golden Syrup gives these cookies a unique flavour.
This cane sugar syrup is available in Canada under
the Roger's and Lyle's labels.
I have not tried to make them with corn syrup instead of the Golden Syrup but if any of you do, let me know how it turns out.
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup golden syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. each nutmeg, cloves, allspice
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups chopped sultana raisins
- Cream together, margarine, shortening and sugar.
- Add golden syrup and eggs, mixing well after each addition.
- Add dry ingredients, mix well and then add raisins.
- Refrigerate dough for several hours.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and place on pan.
- Bake at 375˚F for 10-12 minutes.
Use a small scoop to make evenly sized cookies.