My mom has made this salad (using black eye beans) for many years and I'm always happy to see it at barbecues and picnics. It goes well as a side with burgers, ribs or chicken. Mix it like a potato salad . . . using small white beans with or without a black eye. (The black eye beans turn light brown when cooked)
- 1 1/2 cups black eye or white beans
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 small shallot sliced fine or green onion
- 1 Tbsp fresh finely cut dill or 1/2 tsp dried
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Rinse beans and cover with about 6 cups water and salt. Bring to boil an simmer for about 60 - 75 minutes, until done.( Add more water if needed.)
- When done, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Mix with eggs, shallot and combined dressing ingredients. Garnish with dill or pea shoots. Serves 6-8 as a side.