I was introduced to a version of this recipe by my sister-in-law last summer and I just love it! With the jicama, mango and cilantro, this has a Mexican twist to it. I found the jicame (a root vegetable with golden/brownish skin) in the produce section alongside the fresh herbs and ginger. Right now I'm so glad it's mango season again! This recipe makes enough for six as a side. Make sure you double or triple the recipe if you take it to a family picnic.
- 2 mangoes, peeled and chopped into cubes *
- ½ English cucumber roughly chopped or sliced
- ½ small jicama, peeled and cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1 small shallot, sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil (or light olive)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 2 Tbsp frozen OJ concentrate
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp chili
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp sugar
- Mix dressing ingredients.
- Toss all ingredients with dressing and refrigerate (or set in cooler) for an hour or two so flavors blend, before serving.