Apple Pecan Chicken Salad
- 8 cups mixed greens or baby spinach
- 1/3 cup sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (or feta)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped (or add some chopped red apple for colour)
- 1/2 cup spicy sugared pecans* (recipe below)
- 1 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken, skin removed and cut into bite-size pieces
- Apple vinaigrette dressing* (recipe below)
- Layer greens, onion slices, blue cheese, chopped apples and spicy pecans on a salad plate.
- Top with chicken pieces.
- Drizzle dressing over salad to taste.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place dressing ingredients in a small jar.
- Put on lid and shake.
Spicy Sugared Pecans:
- ½ cup white table sugar
- 2 cups pecan halves
- generous pinch cayenne
- Heat sugar, nuts and cayenne in heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally with wooden spoon.
- After several minutes, the sugar will begin to look sticky...and then begin to melt. Stir continually, coating the nuts with the melted sugar.
- When sugar is completely melted and turned amber in colour, remove from heat and spread nuts on a foil lined pan.
- Allow to cool and break into pieces.