This is a great dessert to prepare on the barbecue. The wonderful aroma wafting from the barbecue will make you hurry with the main course just so you can have dessert. It's a perfect dessert to take along camping. The dry ingredients for the topping can be mixed at home and put in a zipped plastic bag. And the rest can easily be prepared at the campsite.
- 5 medium sized apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats..I used 1/2 cup quick cooking and 1/2 cup large flaked oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- Filling: Combine sliced apples and cranberries in a bowl, squeeze lemon juice over mixture and mix to prevent browning. Stir in sugar.
- Brush melted butter in a 10" cast iron skillet.
- Pour apple mixture into the skillet.
- Topping: Mix together, sugar, rolled oats, flour, and cinnamon.
- With a pastry blender cut in melted butter and vanilla until crumbly.
- Spread crumbles over apple mixture.
- Preheat the barbecue grill to 375º.
- Turn off one of the burners and place skillet over that burner for indirect cooking.
- Cover the barbecue lid.
- Cook for 40 minutes, move skillet over to a burner that is turned on and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the apples are tender and bubbling.
- Remove skillet from the barbecue.
- Serve apple crisp warm. I served it with frozen vanilla yogurt.
Leftovers are delicious on yogurt the next morning.