This meal brings back memories of Saturday night suppers when I was
growing up. Mom would always have a can of ham in the cupboard
so this was something she could whip up in a few minutes.
I don't buy canned ham very often so I use leftover ham cubes or cooked chicken. Add a salad and you have supper ready.
Ingredients for the Creamed Ham
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 2 tablespoons butter (second amount)
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Biscuits
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method for the Creamed Ham:
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Place 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add chopped vegetables and saute' until softened.
- Add ham and frozen peas, stir and heat for another minute or so and set aside.
- In a small saucepan or microwavable bowl, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in flour until combined.
- Add milk and continue to cook and stir until sauce is thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in ham and vegetables and place in casserole dish.
Method for the Biscuits:
- Place all dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Cut in butter to form pea sized crumbs
- Using a fork, stir in Buttermilk just until all is moistened.
- Drop by large spoonfuls over creamed ham mixture.
- Place casserole in 375 º oven and bake for 10- 15 minutes or until biscuits are lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.