Like most recipes, I've adapted or don't cook it exactly the same every time, but the original recipe comes from the Old Mennonite Treasury.
- 6 - 7 large russet potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 can cream of mushroom
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- Peel and thinly slice potatoes and onion
- Mix soup and milk, blending well
- Arrange half of the potatoes in a buttered dish. Shake some salt and pepper all over.Top with onion and pour 2/3 of the soup mix evenly over top.
- Arrange the rest of the potatoes, a little salt and pepper and the rest of the soup. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover dish and bake at 375 F for 60 - 90 minutes. If you like the top a bit crispy, remove cover for final 15-30 minutes. Although the potatoes may be done in 1 hour, I like to put them in a bit ahead of time, just in case. There is nothing like waiting for potatoes to get done, and they taste better when they are cooked longer. You can always just cover and let them sit for 15 minutes before serving.