- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup butter, grated
- 1/2 cup ice-cold water
- Line several baking sheets with parchment paper (or grease).
- Combine flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, salt, grated cheese and butter.
- Mix until well combined.
- Add water, a little at a time to form a stiff dough.
- On floured surface, roll out dough to about 1/4" thickness. (Work with half the pastry at a time.)
- Cut sticks into about 6" lengths, using a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
- Arrange pieces on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes, or until the straws are crisp and golden in colour.
- Yield: about 5 dozen straws.