One of the best things about Spring is rhubarb. This dessert is creamy, light and luscious.
I guarantee this will become a favourite with family and friends alike.
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, cut up
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
1. Blend margarine, flour and sugar.
(Check out my new pastry blender - I found it at Superstore and I love it. No more bent blades!)
2. Press crumbs evenly into ungreased 9x9 pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10- 15 minutes.
4. In mixing bowl, blend egg yolks, sugar, flour, salt and cream. Mix until smooth.
5. Distribute cut rhubarb on baked crust and pour egg yolk mixture evenly over the rhubarb.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. (If you double the recipe and put it in a 9x13 pan as I did, you will need to bake this close to an hour. The custard should be mostly set and starting to brown around the edges.
7. Beat egg whites until foamy.
8. Beat in sugar, a little at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat until stiff glossy peaks form. Do not underbeat.
9. Add vanilla and beat until incorporated.
10. Spread evenly over baked custard, being sure that the meringue touches the edges of the pan all around.
11. Sprinkle with coconut.
12. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until meringue is golden and coconut is toasted.
Serve warm or cold. This is a great way to welcome rhubarb season or it can be a reminder of spring in the middle of our cold Canadian winters!