One of the best things about Spring is rhubarb. This dessert is creamy, light and luscious.
I guarantee this will become a favourite with family and friends alike.
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, cut up
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- Blend margarine, flour and sugar.
- Press crumbs evenly into ungreased 9x9 inch pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10- 15 minutes.
- In mixing bowl, blend egg yolks, sugar, flour, salt and cream. Mix until smooth.
- Distribute cut rhubarb on baked crust and pour egg yolk mixture evenly over the rhubarb.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. (If you double the recipe and put it in a 9x13 pan as I did, you will need to bake this close to an hour. The custard should be mostly set and starting to brown around the edges.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Beat in sugar, a little at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat until stiff glossy peaks form. Do not under beat.
- Add vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Spread evenly over baked custard, being sure that the meringue touches the edges of the pan all around.
- Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until meringue is golden and coconut is toasted.
- Serve warm or cold.