Crunchy pea salad is great on the buffet table...and is quick and easy to assemble. My recipe is handwritten on a little card...copied from a magazine decades ago...and has been prepared many times over the years. It is good served on a bed of lettuce and topped with grated cheese as a luncheon salad...or makes a great side dish.Ingredients:
- 1 500 gram (16-ounce) package of frozen petite peas (slightly thawed)
- 1 cup chopped fresh celery
- 1/4 cup red oion, chopped
- 6 slices of bacon...cooked, drained and crumbled (or 1/2 cup real bacon bits)
- 1/2 cup salted cashews or dry roasted peanuts
- 3/4 cup ranch dressing (or Miracle Whip, if you prefer)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl; mix well.
- Gently fold the dressing into pea mixture.
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serves 8.
- You can make this salad well in advance, but might want to add the nuts just before serving.
- Use less dressing than called for if you prefer.
- Double the recipe for a crowd.