recipe for two pie crusts
2 packages of lemon pie filling or double homemade
6 - 8 beaten egg whites for meringue
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar for meringue
- Pat pastry into rectangular shape, on floured surface then roll out to size of cookie sheet - actually a little more.
- Roll up onto rolling pin and unroll unto cookie sheet. Trim edges where they are too high and add pieces where it is too low. (cut and paste). Prick with fork.
- Bake until golden at 400 F about 15 min.
- Meanwhile, cook pie filling according to package instructions, or make homemade
- Pour hot cooked filling into baked shell and let cool slightly while beating egg whites
- Beat egg whites, gradually adding sugar. Beat just until wavy and glossy and will stand up if dabbed with a spoon. Do not over-beat. It is easier to spread if it's not stiff.
- Spread evenly onto pie crust, making sure the meringue touches the side crusts. For wave design, dab meringue with the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 400 F for 7 - 8 min until golden.
* NOTE - To keep meringue from sticking to knife while cutting, dip knife into hot water or run under hot tap water