recipe for two pie crusts
2 packages of lemon pie filling or double homemade
6 beaten egg whites for meringue
1/2 cup sugar for meringue
- Pat pastry into rectangular shape, on floured surface then roll out to size of cookie sheet - actually a little more.
- Roll up onto rolling pin and unroll unto cookie sheet. Trim edges where they are too high and add pieces where it is too low. (cut and paste)
- Bake until golden at 400 F about 15 min.
- Meanwhile, cook pie filling according to package instructions, or make homemade
- Pour cooked filling into baked shell and let cool slightly while beating egg whites
- Beat egg whites, gradually adding 1/2 cup sugar. Beat just until they are glossy and will stand up if dabbed with a spoon. Do not over-beat, because it will not spread nicely
- Spread evenly onto pie crust, making sure the meringue touches the side crusts. For wave design, dab meringue with the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 400 F for 7 - 8 min until golden.
* NOTE - To keep meringue from sticking to knife while cutting, dip knife into hot water or run under hot tap water