This recipe does not include flour so it is gluten free.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons butter plus enough to butter the casserole dish
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Caramelize diced onion in 2 tablespoons of melted butter in a saute pan.
- In a saucepan, heat up the cream with a sprig of thyme and chopped garlic.
- While cream is heating up, butter a casserole dish.
- Place a layer of potato in an overlapping pattern and season with salt and pepper, sprinkle some of the caramelized onion on top.
- Remove cream from heat, then pour a little over the 1st layer of potatoes.
- Top with some grated cheddar.
- Repeat this for 2 more layers.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- At this point if you desire you can top the baked scalloped potatoes with a little more cheese and broil until the cheese browns.
Since this recipe used heavy cream instead of making a white sauce this dish is gluten free.