This is a variation on the all time favorite Thanksgiving Green Bean Casserole. I was at the store and noticed a good deal on asparagus and decided to try the dish with asparagus instead of green beans. Here's the recipe I tried and it was thoroughly enjoyed.
- 2-3 Tablespoons of butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 cups asparagus pieces (I used fresh aspargus)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (10-3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (2.8 oz.) can French-Fried onion rings
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Saute the onions in the butter.
- Boil the asparagus in the chicken broth for up to 10 minutes and drain.
- Add the asparagus, mushroom soup, and onion rings to the onion mixture.
- Stir well.
- Pour into greased casserole baking dish (approx. 8x8 square).
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Carefully top the casserole with the grated cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until casserole is hot and cheese is melted.
I didn't add any extra seasoning because the broth, mushroom soup, and the cheese added enough salt for our taste. You could and probably should double this recipe and use a 9x13 baking dish because it vanished quickly.
Visit us on Facebook.
We are giving away two tickets to the West Coast Women's Show on the discussion page.
You'll have to check the Kitchen Theatre Stage Schedule.
Thanks Winks for donating the tickets!!