Here's a sure to please party appetizer.
Fresh vegetables rolled in phyllo and baked to a golden brown.
The dipping sauce is a must!
- 1tbsp butter
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger root
- 1 1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped fine
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup each chopped parsley and cilantro
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 cups finely chopped napa cabbage
- 1 cup bean sprouts, chopped up
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry, thaw as directed on package
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- In a small jar shake together soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and Tabasco sauce. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large fry pan. Add ginger and stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add prepared vegetables and herbs. stir fry for 3 minutes. Do not over cook, the veggies should still have a bit of a crunch to them.
- Pour contents of jar over veggie mixture stirring constantly. It will thicken fast.
- Remove from heat immediately and allow to completely cool.
- Carefully unroll one sheet of phyllo at a time and lay on counter. Brush half of sheet lightly with melted butter and fold other half over, pressing lightly to make sure it sticks together. Work very carefully with phyllo as it is very delicate. Phyllo is in the freezer section of the grocery store. the directions on the box are very clear and it's a good idea to read the box for further instructions on how to handle and store.
- Take your cooled vegetable mixture and make row along one end of phyllo. Roll up in a jelly roll fashion forming a roll that is about 1 1/2 -2". Before you get to the end of the roll, run a small amount of butter along the end to help seal the roll. Continue until you have 6 rolls completed.
- Place rolls onto a parchment lined baking sheet and brush rolls with remaining melted butter. Score tops of rolls at 1" intervals for easy cutting after being baked.
- Bake at 375º for 15-20 minutes.
Suggestion: spring rolls can be made up to 2 weeks in advance. Bake frozen rolls the same as fresh. They may take 4-5 minutes longer.
- 4 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh grated ginger root
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp each chopped parsley and cilantro
For optimal flavour mix all ingredients together in a blender and store in a non reactive container for 2-3 hours. Shake well and serve along side spring rolls.