She didn't really have a recipe so I've had to try each time to recreate it.
Recently I made it again and this time I wrote down the ingredients so I could share it on the blog. As with many casserole or skillet meals,
you can adjust the ingredients according to what you have in the fridge.
The main thing to remember is that the rice gets its flavour by cooking in the tomato sauce.
- 1 pound. hamburger
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 1/2 red pepper chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 28 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 4-5 mushrooms, chopped (opt.)
- 1/2 cup each cheddar and mozzerella cheese, grated
- corn chips
- Break up hamburger in an electric frying pan or a deep skillet over medium heat, stirring until hamburger is browned.
- Drain fat and return hamburger to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients except zucchini.
- Cover skillet tightly and cook on low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, replace cover and cook until liquid is completely absorbed into the rice.
- Sprinkle cheddar and mozzerella cheeses over the top and cover until the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with corn chips around the edge and serve right from the skillet.