It is actually quite quick to make. . .no long simmering required, and it stores well in the refrigerator for the remainder of the week for quick lunches. . if it lasts that long.
- 1/2 ring smoked farmer sausage or 3 cups cubed smoked ham
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 - 3 stalks celery, diced.
- 2 diced bell peppers
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled if not white thin skinned and then diced
- 3 sliced carrots
- 2 -3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Saute the sausage or ham in a soup pot.
- Add the onions and celery and fry until the veggies are softened.
- Add 5 -6 cups of water to the pot.
- Add the rest of the veggies. . .adding the corn last.
- Allow to simmer until all the veggies are tender.
I do this mid afternoon, put it on a very slow simmer . . .barely simmering and leave it be until nearly dinner time when I add the cheese sauce.
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups grated cheese (cheddar or mexican blend)
- Stir together melted butter and flour in a 4 cup measuring cup.
- Add milk and whisk until well combined.
- Heat a minute at a time in the microwave, stirring well after each minute until the sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Add cheese and stir to melt.
- Add the sauce into the soup and bring to a very low simmer and then serve immediately.