- 1/2 ring smoked farmer sausage or 3 cups cubed smoked ham
- 1 large vidalia onion diced small or a regular onion .. medium sized
- 2 - 3 stalks celery. . .diced. . .I didn't have any in this soup. .
- diced bell peppers. . .I used two. . one red and one yellow. .use green if you like
- enough fresh potatoes for your family. . I used 5 medium ones
- 3 sliced carrots .. I used the ready peeled and chopped about 3 cups full
- 2 -3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper. . .or to taste. I add at least 1 teaspoon of pepper
As you can see the amounts of the veggies are quite vague. . .it really doesn't matter what you add or don't add it really is a preference of taste.
- Saute the sausage or ham in a soup pot.
- Add the onions and celery and saute until the veggies are softened.
- Add 5 -6 cups of water to the pot.
- Add the rest of the veggies. . .adding the corn last.
- Allow to simmer until all the veggies are tender.
I do this mid afternoon, put it on a very slow simmer . . .barely simmering and leave it be until nearly dinner time when I add the cheese sauce.
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup flour
Stir together the melted butter and flour in a 4 cup microwave measuring cup.
- 2 cups of milk
- Put in the microwave for a minute at a time, stirring after each minute until it is bubbly.
- 2 or a bit more cups of grated cheese of your choice. . I use tex mex for extra zip
Stir the Cheese Sauce into the Soup. . .bring it to a slow simmer and serve.