It is hard to decide what is my favourite summertime pie is but without question, fresh peach pie is up there at the top. Okanagan peaches are grown a few hours away and every summer we wait with anticipation for the first loads of peaches delivered to our local markets.
If you have never had a fresh peach pie, try this one because nothing goes better together than peaches and cream. It tastes like summertime!
- 1 9 inch deep dish baked pie shell (cooled)
- about 6 ripe peaches
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup softened cream cheese (light or regular)
- 1/2 cup icing/powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 packet whipping cream stabilizer (Dr. Oetker) or 1 tablespoon vanilla instant pudding
- Peel peaches and put 2 peaches into a food processor to mash or mash very well with a potato masher.
- Measure mashed peaches to make about 1 cup. (mash part of another peach if necessary)
- Combine mashed peaches, cornstarch, sugar and water in a microwave safe bowl. Heat until bubbly. Alternately, stir together ingredients in a medium pot, stir over medium heat until it is thickened and beginning to simmer.
- Remove from heat. Add the remaining peaches. Set aside to come to room temperature.
- Beat together, softened cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add unwhipped whipping cream and whipping cream stabilizer or instant pudding and beat together with a mixer until thick and creamy.
- Set aside 1/2 cup cream cheese mixture for garnishing the pie.
- Line the bottom and sides of pie shell with the remaining cream cheese mixture.
- Once the peach filling has completely cooled, pour the peach filling into a strainer over a bowl to remove about 1/2 cup of excess sauce. (Refrigerate the extra sauce to serve with scones and cream.)
- Garnish the top of the pie by filling a piping bag with a large star tip.
- Refrigerate a few hours until serving time.