Chocolate Zucchini Muffins will always remind me of my mom who seemingly has baked these non-stop for her grandchildren for many years. It occurred to me recently that maybe I should get the recipe from her. These muffins freeze well and are easy to put into a lunch for a treat.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips (she uses mini size)
- Beat butter and sugar, adding in the eggs.
- Stir in oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add combined dry ingredients. If cocoa does not incorporate nicely into flour, sift dry ingredients before adding to wet.
- Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tins and bake at 350 F, 20 minutes for medium size. Makes about 24 medium size or 18 large size. These are great done as mini muffins, bake less time, until toothpick test comes clean.