- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice and grated rind of 1 large orange
- Cream softened butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add egg, orange juice and grated rind.
- Blend dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, mix well.
- Pour in to a greased 8" by 8" greased pan and bake at 350º for 35 minutes.
- When cake is baked spread with topping.
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Spread topping on baked cake and put back in oven and set oven to broil.
- Watch carefully and once topping is bubbly and golden take cake out of the oven.
- It is good warm or cold.