I really enjoy having friends over for brunch. This easy egg bake can be adjusted to your liking by changing up the choice of meat or veggies and cheeses used.
Serve with a side of crispy bacon, roasted potatoes or hashbrowns and a nice fruit salad and you have a lovely brunch.
- 1 lb of turkey breakfast sausages, casings removed (or any preferred sausage)
- 1 red pepper, diced (can use any color)
- 2 cups of cottage cheese or ricotta (I used cottage cheese)
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (or whatever kind of cheese you have in the fridge, mozza works great too)
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (optional) I used it.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- dash of hot sauce like Tabasco (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard (optional)
- Brown the sausage meat and cook through until all the pink of the meat is gone.
- Drain the cooked meat on a paper towel to remove any excess grease.
- In the same pan cook the red pepper with the seasoning until the peppers have softened.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, flour and baking soda. Add the cheeses, sausage and pepper, mix well. Pour into a well greased 9x13 baking dish and bake at 375 F for 30-40 minutes or until the center doesn't jiggle any more and the top is slightly browned.
- Cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Serves 8-10.