Crepes are simply delicious. The filling is what makes them. For the ones featured today I thickened the juice from a jar of sour cherries and added fresh cut strawberries, raspberries and vanilla bean ice cream. Top with sweetened whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
Crepes: yields 14-16
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- Beat eggs, and add in remaining ingredients. Beat well until you have a smooth batter.
- Heat a non stick pan over medium. (you do not need to spray pan)
- Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup scoop batter and pour into middle of pan. Twirl pan so the batter spreads out into a thin round.
- Allow to cook on first side for a few minutes. Gently flip and cook on second side for about 30 seconds.
- Remove to a cooling rack. Once cooled stack between wax or parchment paper until ready to fill and serve.
**these can be made ahead of time and once cooked and stacked put into a container or sealed bag to keep from getting dried out, until ready to serve**
Sour Cherry Filling:
- 3 cups juice from canned sour cherries in light syrup
- cherries from the jar, pit if needed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Drain the cherries and put the juice into a microwavable bowl.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the juice and microwave until the juice bubbles and there is not more 'chalky' taste from the cornstarch. This will take about 5-7 minutes. Stir several times between.
- Pit cherries if they are not already. Add to the thickened juice. Set mixture aside to cool. This can be done ahead of time and put in refrigerator. This is also nice served slightly warm, but not hot.
Suggested fillings and toppings:
- sliced strawberries
- ice cream
- pudding or mousse
- whipped cream
- chocolate sauce
- dusting of powered sugar