Here's a slightly different twist to Pineapple Upside Down Cake. The secret is the Orange Marmalade. Serve with whipped cream for a taste of the tropics.
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup orange marmelade
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup flaked or shredded coconut
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or coconut extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon orange zest - if desired
- Mix melted butter with brown sugar, stir in marmalade and pineapple and coconut.
- Spread topping evenly in the bottom of a 9 inch ring mold or a 9 inch cake pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, blend butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients and milk alternately and beat for about 2 minutes until batter is smooth.
- Spread batter over topping in cake pan or ring mold.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 25-30 minutes or until cake tested comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes and then invert on to a serving plate.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream.