This recipe was originally posted here in 2008. In the summer we do it on the BBQ and it changes the flavor and texture of the pizza, really very delicious. However it is bitterly cold here in Winnipeg in the winter so I bake it in the oven. I will add the pizza crust recipe that I like to use which I didn't in the orignal recipe. This makes two large cookie sheet size pizzas, or three 12" round pizza pans. The topping amount is for two - 12 inch round pizza pans.
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5-6 cups flour
- Mix 4 1/2 cups flour and the remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together with a wire whisk.
- Add the oil and the warm water.
- Stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Add more flour as needed and knead the dough on a well floured surface until the dough is smooth and elastic about 7-10 minutes.
- Let the dough rest under the bowl for 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two.
Toppings: (for 2 - 12 inch pizza pans)
- 1 cup or less (depending how saucy you like your pizza) BBQ sauce, your favorite flavor (hickory smoke is ours)
- approx 2 cups grilled or cooked chicken, roughly cut up or shredded. (A supermarket roasted chicken is a great option, especially in the winter.)
- red onion, chopped or thinly sliced, as much as you like, a handful for each pizza
- green or red pepper, chopped
- 1 tin pineapple chunks, drained
- 8-12 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- a few slices of bacon fried and crumbled for the top
- cornmeal to dust on the pizza pans
- Grease two 12 inch pizza pans and dust with cornmeal.
- Press dough in gently, pushing to the edge for a nice round crust.
- Spread on preferred amount of BBQ sauce for each pizza, about 1/3 cup.
- Pour a bit of the sauce onto the chicken for more flavor.
- Sprinkle pizza with a little cheese
- Add the chicken, red onion, green pepper, pineapple and bacon.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Preheat the BBQ on the one side only on high. You will be cooking on indirect heat.
- Put the pizza on the top of the heating rack on the opposite side of the flame and bake with the lid closed for about 15 minutes giving the pizza a quarter turn about every 5-7 minutes.
- Total baking time is about 25-30 minutes.
- If baking in the oven, bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees F for 15 - 20 minutes or until desired crispness is achieved for the crust.