Winter days call for hot drinks. Treat your kids to a thermos of this in their school lunch, or enjoy it any time of day. A nice change from tea, coffee and hot cocoa.
- 2 litres pure unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 tablespoon whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 large orange, sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, cut into quarters, seeds and core removed
- Add all ingredients to a pot on the stove top, or if you have time to let it simmer, add to a crock pot.
- Bring to a near boil and turn to simmer on the stove top for approximately an hour or longer to allow the flavours to meld.
- If using a crock pot, I have made it hot on the stove top first and then just placed it all in the crock pot to stay hot for all day serving. Or if time permits add to the crock pot cold, turn to low and let it get hot for approximately 3 hours. Then turn to 'keep warm' setting.
- Remove the apple and orange pieces once you notice the apples are starting to get really soft. I also take the spices out at that point. Cool remaining drink and place in refrigerator for re heating.