We just love our sweet and spicy pickles with pulled pork sandwiches or any kind of sandwich for that matter. These pickles take no time at all to put in a jar to cure for a few days.
I store mine in a large pickle jar that I once got pickles in from a big box store but any kind of large jar with a lid will work. If you don't have one jar big enough, divide ingredients between several quart sized jars.
- 7 - 8 cups thinly sliced cucumbers (a mandolin works well)
- 1 cup thinly sliced and quartered onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced and quartered green peppers
- 1 tablespoon pickling salt
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 sprigs fresh dill heads (the umbrella looking part)
- Combine the cucumbers, onions, green peppers and salt in a large bowl and allow to sit for one hour. Drain well.
- Put one dill head in the bottom of the jar and fill with cucumbers right to the top, packing down a bit to fit in as many as possible. Add one more dill sprig to the top.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, and spices. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar has melted.
- Pour the hot brine over the cucumbers, covering all the cucumbers.
- Put on the lid and refrigerate a few days to allow the cucumbers to cure before eating.
Once cured, the pickles stay well in the refrigerator a few weeks.