For Flash Back Friday I've chosen to bring back this chocolate cake. It was a favorite in my growing up years and it was baked most every Saturday. Once my youngest brother was old enough to bake he would whip up this cake in short order and it was always delicious! My older brothers would deem the cake a success if they could squeeze it in their hands into a dense bar shape!
It is a simple recipe and so moist and delicious. I have changed it up a wee bit from the old recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Melt butter and stir in cocoa till blended. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Break egg into a 1 cup measuring cup and fill up with buttermilk.
- Pour egg mixture and cocoa mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until well blended.
- Pour into a greased 8" pan and bake in 350º F oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with whipped cream. Add a few berries and chocolate shavings and you have a most wonderful dessert.
Update: Here is a 'blooper version'. The cake pan slipped out of my hands while I was taking it out of the oven and bounced back into the oven thankfully right side up. And a good thing I was planning to make a trifle anyway.