There's nothing that tastes better than a fresh home-made salad on a hot summer day. Our summer has finally arrived.
Here's a flashback recipe and this time I changed it up by cutting the butter head lettuce into quarters.
This recipe was introduced to us by a European chef, while he was a guest in our home and offered to cook for us. I could not resist. Over the years I have planted my own fresh butter lettuce.
It's simple, and delicious.
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 2 onion greens
- 1/2 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 egg *
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon oil
- Wash and clean your butter lettuce; drain the water off and pat it dry.
- Quarter the head of lettuce and plate this for your guests.
- Add onions and mushrooms and I've added avocados, cucumbers, and celery.
- Whip the cream till medium thickness; add egg and mustard, whipping some more. The texture should be smooth.
- Add salt, lemon juice and oil.
- Pour over chilled butter lettuce leaves.
* young children, pregnant women and people with compromised immune systems should avoid raw egg