Today would have been my parent's 69th wedding anniversary.
Mom left us suddenly on the day after their 60th anniversary.
Dad is now 94 and in a care home but still brings us so much joy.
Here is a cake to celebrate their 60 year commitment to each other.
This cake's secret ingredient is cream cheese
and the crunchy crumb topping eliminates the need for a frosting.
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 1 /4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
For the crumb topping:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Prepare 9 x13 inch baking pan by lining with parchment paper or greasing the bottom of the pan. Set oven to 350º Fahrenheit.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Add sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between additions.
- Add vanilla to milk and set aside.
- Add dry ingredients to butter/cream cheese mixture gradually adding milk/vanilla mixture as the flour is incorporated.
- Beat until batter is thick and smooth.
- Spread in prepared pan.
- Cut together crumb topping ingredients.
- Sprinkle topping over cake batter.
- Bake at 350º F for 30 - 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- Cool. Serve with ice cream and berries if desired.