Thanks to my sister Rhoda for sharing her blueberry pie recipe with me. It's delicious!
For the crust just use your favourite recipe or go to our recipe index and try one of ours.
- 5 cups frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 very small piece of bread, grated (enough to just barely cover bottom pie shell)
- Place berries in a large bowl.
- Add the sugar and flour and stir to coat berries.
- Let this mixture sit on counter for about 1 hour so that the blueberries thaw. OR, you can place this mixture in the microwave until the blueberries are no longer frozen solid. They can still be a little frozen but if you don't do this step the crust bakes too fast for the berries to fully cook.
- Line pie plate with bottom crust.
- Top with grated bread crumbs. The bread helps to absorb some of the extra juice berries that may otherwise soak into crust, giving you a soggy bottom crust. You won't taste the bread, but you will have a really nice crust.
- Fill pie shell with blueberry filling.
- Drizzle with lemon juice.
- Lay top crust over. Cut and pinch edges of dough. Slit dough. Blueberry pie often has the signature circle cut out in the centre of the pie.
- Sprinkle the top crust with a little dusting of granulated white sugar.
- Bake in 350º F oven on lower rack for 45 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and bottom and top crust are a nice golden colour with a flaky texture.