I never cook rice any other way than in the microwave. It's just too easy, no mess and perfect fluffy rice every time.
Cooking rice in the microwave rather than on the stove top takes more water, contrary to what you would expect. I don't know the scientific reason for that, but I just know that is how it works and why fix what isn't broken!
- for 1 cup of rice use 3 cups of water
- add salt to taste - about 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place all ingredients in a bowl that allows for expansion.
- If you are not using a bowl with a lid, simply cover with a dinner plate.
- Place in microwave at high power ... set for cooking time of 25 minutes and 'forget about it'.
* Cooking rice in chicken broth instead of water adds great flavor ... If I don't have chicken broth, adding a chicken bouillon cube is good too. (Make sure it is gluten-free if you need it to be)
I use converted white rice, brown rice or my favorite - sprouted rice. Sprouted rice is the healthy choice ... you can read about it here.
NOTE - I know microwaves vary in power, so when cooking the rice the first time take note of time needed.