This dish is rather like a taco salad served on a bed of rice. It is a bit of a twist on 'walking tacos', which are always a hit with the kids in my life. It is also an easy meal to serve at a potluck...where guests each bring a different 'topping'.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning (or 1 package)
- 1 cup salsa (medium or hot)
- cooked rice
- sweet pepper (green, yellow or red), chopped
- lettuce, shredded
- black olives, sliced (optional)
- Guacamole or sliced avacado
- cheese, shredded
- corn chips or taco chips, crushed (optional topping)
- sour cream
- Brown beef with onion in skillet; drain.
- Stir in taco seasoning and salsa and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place all the remaining ingredients in serving bowls on the buffet table and allow guests to assemble their own 'haystack'. Begin with a mound of rice, add meat sauce and then layer on optional toppings as desired.