Is there such a thing? Brownies without chocolate? Not in my book - BUT my Dad does not like chocolate so I made these butterscotch brownies for him - and made them gluten-free because I could! (inspired by a recipe in Company's Coming 'Squares')
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 lg egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup Julie's Flour Mix (or your own favorite all purpose mix)
- 1/4 brown rice flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts - walnuts or pecans
- Melt butter and mix in the the brown sugar, add egg and vanilla and hand-beat until smooth
- Blend dry ingredients and stir into butter/sugar mixture, stirring briskly until batter is smooth.
- Scrape into a 9x9 inch cake pan - bottom lined with parchment paper
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp whipping cream
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups icing sugar
- Mix butter/cream/brown sugar in saucepan and bring to a boil - then simmer from 2 minutes
- Remove from heat and add the icing sugar -- if too thick add a tiny amount of milk, just enough so it is easily spread over the still warm squares.
- Let cool before cutting.