When deciding what to serve family or friends, I like to plan colour into my meal.
Vegetables are the best way to do that.
For a dinner over the Christmas season, I chose to serve asparagus because of it's bright green colour.
Adding red peppers made it bright and seasonal, not to mention, very tasty.
A simple side dish with only a few ingredients,
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large shallot (can substitute onions if desired)
- 2-4 pats of Butter, divided
- 2 bunches fresh asparagus
- Cut red pepper in half removing and discarding the seeds and white membranes.
- Cut pepper into wedges and then cut across each wedge at an angle to give you 1 1/2" long ribbons.
- Skin the shallot and cut it in half and then cut across each half to make 1/2 round slices about the same length as the peppers.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of butter in a fry pan over medium heat and stir fry peppers and shallots until tender. Set aside.
- Snap ends off the asparagus spears and steam in a small amount of boiling water until just crisp tender. Do not overcook. Drain and add a pat of butter to the pan.
- Immediately place asparagus lengthwise on a platter and top with peppers and shallots, arranging them across the middle of the asparagus as pictured above.
- Serve immediately.
Note: You can blanche the asparagus and cook the peppers and shallots earlier in the day,
Just before serving, place butter in a fry pan and gently reheat the asparagus. briefly reheat the peppers and shallots and serve as described above.