I served this salad at this year's Mennonite Girls Can Cook Christmas Party.
It's a special salad to serve during the holidays with its out of season Fresh Raspberries.
But in Summer when raspberries are in season, you can enjoy it as often as you like.
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or Grapeseed oil
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons raspberry or blueberry Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
* Spiced Almonds:
- 1 cup slivered almonds - preferably unblanched
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice Powder
For the Salad:
- 2 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup mixed red and green salad greens
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 -2 mini English Cucumbers
- spiced almonds *
- 1 green onion - green part only
- Prepare the dressing first and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients in a salad shaker or jar and shake vigorously to blend. Note: start with the smaller amounts of sugar and mustard and adjust to suit your taste, Set aside.
- Prepare the almonds. Lay out a piece of waxed paper on the counter.
- In a medium no stick fry pan, place sugar and spice, stirring over medium heat for a few minutes .
- Add almonds and continue to stir until sugar melts and almonds begin to brown. Watch very closely as they will burn quickly.
- When sugar is almost all dissolved, turn almonds out onto waxed paper to cool. If you do this ahead of time, store the nuts in a covered container.
- Prepare the salad on individual plates.
- Place some romaine, spinach and mixed salad greens on each plate, top with cucumber slices and green onion.
- Sprinkle with a few raspberries and spiced nuts.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.