There is nothing quite like fresh strawberries bursting with the sweet flavour of early summer.....
unless.... it is fresh strawberries piled high in a tender pastry crust and topped with a sweet fruit glaze.
The only thing that can improve this pie is a dollop of slightly sweetened whipped cream flavoured
with just a hint of vanilla.
This pie is best served the same day you make it.
The juice from the berries will make the crust soggy by the second day.
- Approximately 3-4 quarts of whole fresh strawberries, washed and hulled. Leave one large berry with the green hull attached to use as a garnish.
- 1 baked pastry crust
- Whipped cream for serving.
For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup crushed strawberries (try to crush them as much as possible so that they are almost pureed.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind, if desired
- Wash berries and lay out on a paper towel and pat dry. Set aside.
- Prepare glaze:
- Mix sugar and cornstarch in microwave safe bowl.
- Add crushed berries, juices, water and lemon rind and stir well.
- Microwave at 1 minute intervals, stirring after each minute, until mixture thickens.
- Cool slightly in a cold ice water bath, stirring frequently.
- In the meantime, fill baked pie shell with berries. Place each starwberry pointed side up, starting on the outside and making circles of berries towards the centre until the bottom of the pie shell is covered. It's nice if the berries are of fairly uniform size.
- Spoon about 1/3 of the glaze over berries until they are covered.
- Make another layer of berries, repeating the circular pattern with the points up.
- Again, spoon glaze over berries.
- Starting from the centre this time, make 2 more circles of berries (there should be one berry in the very centre) And cover with the rest of the glaze.
- Take the strawberry reserved for the garnish, and cut slices from the point almost to the stem, keeping the hull and top part of the berry intact. Gently spread the slices of the berry open and place in centre of pie.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- Serve pie with a dollop of whipped cream.