My good friend Betti K. makes these wonderful Rhubarb Orange Muffins.
One day I tried adding a sticky pecan mixture to the bottom of the muffin cups before spooning in the batter and now I make them like this each spring during rhubarb season.
If you want to make the muffins without the brown sugar/pecan topping, add 3/4 cup chopped pecans to the muffin batter.
For the sticky topping:
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons cream
For the muffins:
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped fresh rhubarb
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- Grease muffin pans. I use pans that make medium sized muffins and I usually get 16 muffins from this recipe.
- Place 3 or 4 pecan halves in the bottom of each cup.
- Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place about 1 teaspoon of topping in each cup on top of the pecans
- Mix muffin batter:
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In medium bowl, beat egg.
- Add oil, orange juice and orange rind to beaten eggs.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture all at once and stir just until moistened.
- Fold in rhubarb.
- Spoon over brown sugar/pecan mixture in prepared muffin pans.
- Bake for at 350 degrees F for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, loosen sides of muffins and turn upside down on a rack.
- These are best served the same day. If there are any left, store them in the refrigerator. (They will still be good the next day but will be softer in texture)