Colourful, flavourful and healthy!
On a recent trip through Kelowna we stopped for lunch at my husband's cousin and his wife's place. They served us this salad and I had her send me the recipe....it's been served a few times since then around our table. A great addition to a BBQ.
Herbed Lemon Dressing:
- juice of one fresh lemon
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp each dried oregano, basil and parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Place all ingredients in a glass jar and shake well. Refrigerator while you make salad.
- 1/2 cup uncooked, dry brown lentils
- 1/4 cup uncooked, EITHER brown rice OR orzo
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped peppers. I like to use a mixture of red, yellow and orange to give colour.
- 1/2 cucumber, peel left on, diced fine
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 small green or yellow zucchini, peel on, diced fine
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh dill
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- Cook lentils as directed on package, but make sure they do not get overly soft. You want them to hold a slight firmness, but still cooked through. If all the water has not been absorbed once done drain well.
- Cook rice or orzo along with salt and oil as directed on package until soft.
- Mix together cooked lentils and rice (or orzo), cover and refrigerate until cool.
- Chop up all vegetables and mix together.
- Add cooled lentil mixture to vegetable mixture, stir to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad, place in serving bowl and top with olives and feta. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.