Making fresh home made buns is a novelty for me. You'd think that by now we have exhausted all our recipes. Today I will share with you my favorite 'go to recipe' for white buns. This recipe too, came from a good friend, Renate. It's a favorite for our family. I've never had success making Zwieback tops, so I've just shaped the dough into round buns. The versatility of home made buns are many: add them to any meal, soup or salad or just add a jar of strawberry jam and peanut butter.
A few of us will be making our favorite bun recipes as we serve the Kiev Symphony Orchestra in Chilliwack at the Alliance Church on September 9, at 7:00 pm. The KSOC is under the leadership of Wes Janzen, former Professor of Music at TWU.
This past week we spent time preparing our cabbage rolls and apple pies at the Alliance Church.
Thank you Kathy (Kathy is the sister to Wes) for organizing our cooking day. You can read all about it at Kathy's blog. We all feel that this is such a rich opportunity to serve the choir members, especially during the current unrest in Ukraine. We have just heard recently that the children from the Good Shepherd Shelter (our first royalty project) have been moved to Kiev where they are safer. Please join us as we continue to pray for the safety of staff and children.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 9 -10 cups white flour
- Scald milk and add butter.
- Add water to scalded milk to become lukewarm.
- In mixing bowl add half of the flour, yeast, salt and sugar.
- Add the warm milk mixture to flour mixture and mix for five minutes on lowest setting.
- This process has activated the yeast.
- Add eggs, oil and remaining flour and continue kneading for 10 minutes until dough becomes soft and is not sticky.
- Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Form into buns and place on greased pans. Cover with a tea towel and let rise for another 45 minutes.
- Bake in 400° for 15 minutes.
I will definitely consider this time. Thankful for any shortcut tips from our readers.
These buns also serve well as 'Sliders'