ReiRei is a comfort food that goes back to my own childhood. It is quick, easy and nutritious and I remember my Mom and my Grandmother making it often
I liked to eat it at my Grandmother's house because she would serve it to me with a little smirk saying, "I know at home you aren't allowed to eat it with sugar but at my house you can eat it with sugar!"
Of course I loved it with sugar and it just proved that things are always better at Grandma's house !!
Skipping down a couple of generation to my own grandgirls, ReiRei very quickly became the dish of choice whenever my grandgirls would come over.
"Nanna, can you make ReiRei?" was their repetitive request and I ,of course, was happy to make it for them .. and yes, they were allowed to eat it with sugar at my house!
I thought ReiRei was so easy to make every one knew how to make it... but sometimes the seemingly simple things are not so simple if you have never seen them done.
My girls would say to me, "Nanna, I don't want to hurt Grandma's feelings but you need to teach her how to make ReiRei."
So, in case someone else has never made it , here are the step by step instructions.
It really is a quick one dish meal that kids love. ( I still like it too)
And my grandgirls are happy that they can now have it gluten-free !
- 1/2 cup reg wheat flour OR gluten -free flour mix (my favourite mix - equal amounts of brown rice flour/millet flour/white bean flour/white corn flour/tapioca starch)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (if using gluten free flour)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp butter
1. Whisk eggs and milk, add the flour and whisk until smooth (do not use blender - too much mixing makes the Rei Rei 'stick together'.)
2. Melt butter in hot skillet. Then pour batter into skillet. (I love my cast iron)
4. Using egg turner (can use knife to help) chop and cut the 'pancake' into small pieces, stirring and cutting.