This upside down cake is simple to make but looks and tastes fabulous.
- 2-4 nectarines
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
for the Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 º.
- Melt butter in a round 8 or 9 inch baking pan.
- Add brown sugar, mix with a fork to blend and spread evenly in bottom of pan.
- Slice nectarines (one at a time - you may not need all of them) and arrange over brown sugar/butter mixture - start at the middle and lay the slices down in a spiral, overlapping them as you work your way to the outside of the pan.
- In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg. Add buttermilk and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Stir melted butter into buttermilk mixture.
- Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and beat with a spoon until almost smooth
- Pour over nectarines in prepared pan
- Bake at 325º F for about 30 minutes or until top is browned and toothpick inserted in centre comes out dry.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan and immediately turn the pan upside down on to a cake plate. If any fruit remains in the pan, just gently lift it and put it into place on the cake.
- Serve with ice cream or whipping cream.