Short on oven space as you think about the big meal? Put the scalloped potatoes into a slow cooker hours before dinner and forget about them. This recipe is adapted and doubled from the Mennonite Treasury. It goes well with ham or farmer sausage.
- 8 cups sliced potatoes or 4 lbs mini potatoes
- 1 thinly sliced large onion
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup (or 1 can and 1 can cream of celery)
- 1 can milk or light sour cream (using the empty soup can as a measure)
- pepper and paprika
- Peel potatoes, if using regular potatoes. If using mini potatoes, no need to peel.
- Slice and place half into buttered slow cooker/crock pot.
- Top with thinly sliced onion.
- Mix soup and milk in shaker container and pour half of it over onions.
- Repeat with potatoes and the rest of the soup mix.
- Sprinkle with pepper and paprika.
- Cook on high heat for 1 hour, then turn down to medium and cook for another 4 hours or until potatoes are soft. You can slow this down (7 hours) by cooking on low/medium heat the whole time or speed it up by cooking on high heat the whole time. Once they are done, keep warm on the lowest setting. Serves 10 - 12