I make these meatballs in short order by using a spring loaded ice cream scoop. I resist the temptation to perfect each meatball by rolling it once I have scooped out the meat. Once these meatballs bake and are covered in sauce, there is no worry that the meatball is not perfectly shaped and your family will know you made them yourself!
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 pounds / 1 kg lean ground beef
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups apricot jam
- 1 bottle chili sauce 455 ml or about 2 cups (minus 3 tablespoons for the meatball ingredients)
- 1 cup water
- Combine the first set of ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Place ground beef and bread crumbs in a large bowl and pour blended ingredients over top and then use hands to mix thoroughly.
- Cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a medium sized spring loaded ice cream scoop to make meatballs. If you want to make appetizer sized meatballs make them smaller, about one inch. Place in rows on the cookie sheet and bake at 375 F for about 20 minutes.
- Pour chili sauce, apricot jam and water into blender and process until smooth.
- Place meatballs in a large casserole dish and pour apricot chili sauce over top and bake at 325 for 1 hour.
- Serve over rice.
Hint.. use water to rinse out the chili sauce bottle