Today is an appropriate day to share the recipe for these pumpkin shaped cookies, I used to make them for our children so that when they came home from school there would be a 'pumpkin treat' for them. Then in later years I made them for the grandchildren. All of the children and g'children have grown up, but who can resist a pretty cookie decorated as an orange pumpkin!
This recipe can be used for different seasons, it's my favorite at Christmas using festive cookie cutters.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Cream butter, and sugar, stir in vanilla.
- Add egg and beat until fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients and milk, stirring until well mixed.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour..you may chill the dough overnight.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with pumpkin shaped cookie cutter, place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, you do not need to leave much space between the cookies, they do not spread.
- Bake in 400º oven for 8 minutes.
- Cool on rack and decorate with orange colored icing. I cut green colored baking gumdrops in half for the stems.
- Yields: 2 dozen