These bars caught my eye while looking through a recipe book because I happened to have a jar of apple butter in the fridge. I changed the amounts to suit how much apple butter I had, used large flake oats, added an egg and was pleasantly surprised by these! The apple butter gives them a nice tartness - I would also recommend any thick preserve you have available. I know there would be those in my family who would love this recipe with guava jam.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar (half brown/half white)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups large flake quick oats
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup melted, cooled butter
- 1 cup apple butter
- Mix dry ingredients.
- In a separate little bowl, whisk egg and add butter
- Stir egg and butter into dry ingredients. Set aside about 1/3.
- Press 2/3 into greased 9X9 pan and then spread with apple butter
- Top with left over 1/3 squeezing with hands to make crumbs. Press crumb mix down just slightly.
- Bake at 350 F for about 35 - 40 minutes, until golden brown.