Any kind of country fried steak or Schnitzel, be it beef, pork or chicken is a favorite for the one I cook for most.
For this recipe I purchase fast fry pork cutlets and tenderize them with a meat mallet until they are quite thin. You can also use rouladen cut beef or thinly slice some chicken breasts and tenderize them.
- 6 - 8 slices of fast fry boneless pork cutlets or as many you wish to make
- salt, pepper, seasoning salt and garlic powder
- 2 - 3 eggs
- 1 -2 cups fine bread crumbs
- oil for browning
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 - 2 Tbsp flour
- Trim fat on meat. Tenderize and season lightly on both sides.
- Prepare a shallow bowl of whisked eggs as well as a plate with bread crumbs for dipping
- Pour about 2 -3 tablespoons of oil into a large non-stick or stainless steel frying pan, set on medium heat.
- Dip each slice into egg, then coat with crumbs and place into heated frying pan.
- Fill pan, but do not crowd. Brown both sides, repeating with added oil if needed. Keep warm on ovenproof plate covered, on low heat or serve immediately if not making gravy.
- To make gravy, add sliced mushrooms to pan drippings, stirring for a few minutes.
- Stir in cream. Shake up flour with a small amount of cream or water and add to thicken.Season with salt and pepper according to taste.