These pizza rolls are great for packing in lunches and to have in the freezer for a quick supper. I like to have them handy around Christmas time when you want something different from the usual buffet of leftovers! You may add chopped mushrooms, green peppers and bacon if you like. Another idea, the one my daughter suggested..with tomato, olives, mushroom and feta!
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 6 1/4 cups flour..I used 2 cups multigrain and 4 1/4 cups white flour
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups pepperoni, finely chopped
- 5 cups cheese, grated..I used half cheddar and half mozzarella
- 1 egg, slightly beaten for eggwash
- Italian seasoning
- cornmeal for sprinkling in cookie sheet (optional)
- To make the dough: stir together sugar, salt, oil, and warm water.
- Add flour and yeast and mix well. Start with 4 cups of flour and keep adding as needed.
- Knead well for 5 minutes.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Divide dough into 2 pieces and roll each out into a rectangle, approx 1/4" thick.
- Spoon half the sauce on each rectangle of dough, then sprinkle pepperoni and cheese on top.
- Roll up as you would for cinnamon rolls and pinch edges to seal.
- Place rolls in a parchment lined pan sprinkled with cornmeal. If you don't have a pan large enough you can make these rolls in smaller sizes.
- Brush slightly beaten egg over the rolls and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Bake at 400º for 30 minutes, till golden brown.
* These rolls never seal completely for me and they kind of fall in after baking but nobody here seems to mind if some of the filling oozes out and the rolls flatten a bit:)