This is a tasty soup that would work nicely as a starter to a Christmas Dinner.
Apple Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 2 large butternut squash
- 4 sweet apples
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large cast iron dutch oven or large stockpot over low heat.
- Add the onions and curry powder and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Stir and scrape the bottom of the pot every couple minutes.
- Peel squash, cut in half and remove seeds. Cut the squash into chunks.
- Peel and core the apples and cut into chunks.
- Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper, and 2 cups broth to pot.
- Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook until the squash and apples are soft, approx.40-50 minutes.
- Use a food processor or hand blender to puree the squash and apples.
- Return to pot if you used the food processor and taste, adding salt and pepper if needed.
- If the consistency is too thick add a little more broth or water and heat through.
- Serve with toasted walnuts and pomegranate seeds, optional.
Serves: 16-24 (approx. 1/2 cup servings)