This cheese wheel goes well with a green salad or even as an addition to an appetizer buffet.
Serve marinara or pizza sauce on the side to dip wedges into.
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Stir sugar into warm water and sprinkle yeast over warm water. Allow to proof 8 minutes. Stir well.
- Add flour, oil and salt and knead together forming a moderately stiff dough.
- Cover with a lint free towel and let rise 1 hour in a draft free area.
Cheese filling Ingredients:
- 3 cups grated cheese, my suggestion is a combination of cheddar and mozzarella or muenster.
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- Grate cheeses and combine. Add parsley and sprinkle with spices.
- Whisk egg and add to cheese and spices. Using a fork stir to mix. Set aside.
- Punch down risen dough and divide into 2 equal portions.
- Roll one portion into a 13" circle and place on a greased or parchment lined round pizza pan.
- Spread egg and cheese mixture on this shell leaving a rim of dough 1" showing.
- Roll out remaining dough and place over the egg and cheese mixture.
- Pinch together the upper and lower crusts. Flute edges for a nice finish.
- Bake in preheated 400º oven for 20 minutes.
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sugar
- Whisk together egg and water while cheese wheel is baking.
- After the first 20 minutes of baking remove cheese wheel from oven and brush with egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sugar.
- Bake another 12-15 minutes, until golden.
- Cut into wedges and serve HOT.