It is that time of year when I start baking for Christmas. It may feel early to some of you but hey it snowed here this weekend so I am ready to get started! This is a delicious crispy, melt in your mouth kind of cookie. They are one of my favorites on the Christmas cookie tray. They freeze well and can easily be made a few weeks in advance of serving.
(Looks like a plate ready for Santa:)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Additional icing sugar for sprinkling on cookies
- Cream butter and icing sugar till well mixed.
- Combine flour and salt and stir into the creamed mixture.
- Stir in pecans which have been finely chopped, this dough will be crumbly but will gather quite nicely into a ball as you can see in the photo.
- Shape dough into 3" finger lengths.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350º for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool cookies for 5 minutes, then sprinkle icing sugar over them. I used a sieve to do this.
- Yields: 2 1/2 dozen